Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wedding Bells

Well, a few of us traveled to another island to go see a wedding. The wedding was Arab/Indonesian. It was very interesting to see how the women and men are separated the entire time. The groom and bride also met for the first time after the man signed the wedding agreement. It was very sad to me to know that they met for the very first time on their wedding day. I cant even imagine knowing that I would be with a man for the rest of my life and I know nothing about him. Very very different.

The island we went to was also very different. It was very rural. The island was also very conservative. There are no "buele's" or white people who live there so we had a WHOLE lot more staring and yelling. It was a little frustrating but oh well...I got over it.

Right now it is rainy season so, it rains a lot. Yesterday everything flooded because it was raining so much. Some of the team members houses flooded or lost electricity. We were very lucky that we still had electricity through the entire storm and no flood in our house! :-D PTL

Today I taught about Chrima to preschool and Kindergarten kids. It was very fun. I also went to 3rd grade for about an hour and all they wanted to hear about was Santa Clause...I laughed and answered all of their questions. I met a teacher there who got her masters in the states and it was very nice to talk to her about life there and here. I had a very meaningful conversation with her.

I went to a University today to meet a girl with Boyt.....she was a really nice girl. She asked me some deep questions though.

One PR:
My skin is not doing to well here. I have very sensitive skin and keep getting random rashes. The 2nd day I was here I had small rashes pop up all over my arms and back and then one on my arm today for about 2 hours. I am still using the same soap but the detergent is different so I am a little worried. Please keep this in your thoughts that I would be healthy. I dont think it is the food but I am not sure. Everytime this has happened it has been something different that I ate that day. I also got bit last night by some ants so, I have like 5 bites on my arms.

I am not sure if people are reading this....I hope so, but nobody has left comments. I am wondering if you are able to leave comments?!? okay have a great day!! :-)

3 comments:

Danita said...

Yes we are all here and reading your posts. I wish I were a fly on a way to see you interacting with your new friends! I wondered how they are dealing with your southernese. I can just image how it must be with you just talking away and they got stuck on one of your cute phrases. Love in any language is still love. Give all our love to Boyt. I will definately *think about your rashes. Miss you bunches!:)

Eva said...

Hey!
Care told me about this and i thought i'd check it out.
now i don't have to wonder how you're doing. :P
anyway i hope you dont have anymore rashes and it's nice to keep in touch even if it is like this

love you much and i always miss you

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.